MISCELLANEA (III) shows the portal, designed by Louis H. Sullivan, to the Chicago Stock Exchange on Monroe Street in Chicago, which was erected in 1894 and torn down in 1972; ruins of a glass factory in Henryetta, Oklahoma, from which Bruce Goff bought the colorful pieces of glass he often used; a railway bridge over a creek in the desert on Highway 62; the General Patton Memorial Museum on Interstate Highway 10 and an intersection in Twentynine Palms, California; "Gateway West" - the Mexican border - and City Hall in El Paso, New Mexico; a study of downtown Oklahoma City and the national memorial designed by Hans Butzer in honor of the people killed in the bombing of the Murrah Building on April 19, 1995; the Community Center designed by William Wesley Peters in 1982 and Frank Lloyd Wright's Price Tower from 1956 in Bartlesville, Oklahoma; the Tower and geodesic Gold Dome that Robert B. Roloff built in 1958 in Oklahoma City from Buckminster Fuller's plans;the jungle gym Bruce Goff built in Bartlesville, Oklahoma in 1963 for children; a Lockheed T-33, the training version of the first twin-jet US fighter plane, built on a German model, exhibited as a sculpture in front of the Center of Commerce in Del Rio, Texas; three buildings by Frank Lloyd Wright from the 1920s, in which Bruce Goff had a hand; the oldest cement fence in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the oldest brick silo near Bartlesville, and a concrete schoolhouse from the 1920s in Dewey, Oklahoma; the burial sites of Louis H. Sullivan and Bruce Goff in Graceland Cemetery in Chicago; the warship "Puglia" built into a mountain slope on the grounds of Gabriele d'Annunzio's mausoleum, the "Vittoriale" in Gardone on Lake Garda - his body and those of ten loyal followers in sarcophagi on marble steles, high above Lake Garda. The footage from the US was taken in April and May 2002 during the filming of Goff in the Desert; the footage from the "Vittoriale" is from March 24, 1997 in preparation for the project D'Annunzio's CAVE.
Img 1: Sullivan's Arch in Chicago, USA
Img 2: Downtown Oklahoma City, USA
Studies on 35 mm color film from 1988 to 1997.
The memorial to the crew of the crashed Challenger-space shuttle in the grounds of the Neil Armstrong Air & Space Museum in Wapakoneta, Ohio, on April 3, 1995. The Ladora Savings Bank by C. B. Zalesky in Ladora, Iowa, April 4, 1995. Both motifs were discovered by chance during a filming expedition to the last eight buildings of Louis Sullivan in the Midwest of the United States. Neil Armstrong was born near Wapakoneta, Zalesky was a scholar of Sullivan. The painting Building of the Devil's Bridge (ca. 1833) by Carl Blechen and the present location of the Devil's Bridge at the St. Gotthard Pass, shot on April 18, 1996, during a filming expedition to Robert Maillart's bridges. The castle in Arco and the swimming pool built by Giancarlo Maroni between 1932 and 1934 in Riva on Lake Garda, filmed March 23, 1997. Maroni came from Arco, and was D'Annunzios personal architect at the Vittoriale in Gardone. The footage was made during the shooting of D'Annunzios Cave - Interior Design as Political Declaration. Ueli Etter cleaning the screens and printing motifs for his exhibition on a clear day in Berlin, August 22, 1995. The post offices in Sabaudia and Latina, south of Rome, built by Angiolo Mazzoni in the early 30s, and his railway station (1937) in Latina Scalo, filmes July 31, and August 3, 1995. Jochen Nickel, Ueli Etter und Ronny Tanner at Ueli Etter's exhibition you can see forever on June 21, 1996. Buildings next to the Via Appia near Pontinia on August 7, 1995. Raw meat at Cabo de Creus in Spain on October 11, 1988.
IMG: Seven trees forming a 7 - Memorial to the crew of the crashed Challenger-space shuttle in Wapakoneta, Ohio, 3. April 1995
Photography and beyond - Part 5
Studies on 35mm b/w film from 1988 to 1997.
Raw meat at Cabo de Creus and the ruins of "Sant Pere de Rodes" in the Spanish Pyrenees, filmed on October 7 and 11, 1988. Eckhard Rhode, Kyle deCamp and John Erdman at Georges Rodenbach's grave at the Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris on September 27, 1988. Eckhard Rhode translates the inscription on the tombstone: "Lord, give me hope to live on in the melancholic eternity of the book". This footage was made while shooting the feature film "Der Zynische Körper (The Holy Bunch)", in which the scene was not included. The power stations "Humboldt" and "Wilhelmsruh", built by Hans Heinrich Müller in 1926 in Berlin - their interaction with the set-designs in Fritz Lang's "Mabuse" films and "Metropolis" is still felt today - filmed on April 9 and 10, 1997. Jochen Nickel at Heinz Emigholz's exhibition "Die Basis des Make-Up 1974-1994" in the Hamburg Kunsthalle on July 1, 1994. Views of plane trees in Barcelona with Eckhard Rhode on October 4, 1988 - a congenial relationship between the coulour nuances of tree bark and stones and Kodak's Plus X b/w film. The tympanum of Auguste Rodin's "The Gates of Hell" at the Zurich Kunsthaus on October 30, 1988. Hans Etter had scaffolding put up in the front of the sculpture so we could film details not visible from street level. The bronze casting of "La Porte de L'Enfer" in Zurich was done in the 40s near Paris during the German occupation and was a present of the Nazi government to the Swiss arms manufacturer Bührle - as thanks for the good business relationship and the delivery of anti-aircraft guns.
Abb: Detail aus ›La Porte de l'Enfer‹ von Auguste Rodin in Zürich